Follow these simple guidelines in the gym to maintain good health, and to show consideration for others:
- Wipe down all mats and equipment both before and after use. Most gyms have bottles of sanitizing solution and towel dispensers, or antiseptic wipes forwiping surfaces. Wipe handles, headrests,and footrests on machines. Don’t forget to wipe dumbbell and barbell gripping surfaces.
- Wash hands often, especially after working out. The US Center for Disease Control recommends fives steps when washing hands:
1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap,
and apply soap.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Avoid touching your face when working out. Specifically, avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth to limit the transmission of germs. If you must scratch an itch, use the inside of your shirt or another article of clothing.
- Bring a small, clean towel for personal use during exercise. This towel should not be used for wiping gym surfaces. Use the supplies provided by the gym for wiping down equipment.
- Do not come to the gym if you are ill, or if you are coughing and sneezing.
See if a doctor if you are not feeling well, if you are running a temperature, or if your cough persists or gets worse.
Outside the gym, remember to eat well and to get enough rest to stay healthy during these cold, damp months of the year.
by Hugh Mitchell