For ten years I worked in corporate fitness and wellness. Many of my clients continually told me, I just don’t have time to take care of me. Work was used as an excuse. Let’s face it, we all live full and busy lives, but we all will make time for what is most important.
Check below for some great ways to keep healthy and fit while at work.
- Keeping active: If your workplace has a gym, use it. If it opens early, try squeezing in 30mins before work starts. If you don’t have a gym, then use your lunch for a brisk walk. Other ideas are, park in the furthest parking spot to get in some extra steps and take the stairs.
- Vitamin D: Many of us work a minimum of 8 hours a day and most are probably not getting enough light especially if our office does not have windows. Vitamin D makes us feel better. Ensure to take a few minutes in the morning and afternoon to get outdoors. Set an alarm in your calendar so you don’t forget.
- Move on the hour: Wonder why you may feel stiff and sore, lower back aching when you get up from sitting. Check the time and see how long you may have been sitting for. More than an hour, if you find yourself sitting for long periods of time, set alarms in your calendar to get up on the hour, even if is just to stand. A better idea is to use that few minutes to go fill up your water bottle.
- Bring your own lunch: A great way to save money and eat healthier is to bring your own lunch. Skip the cafeteria or nearby restaurant and use the time to get outdoors and have your lunch. You will feel better and your savings account will thank you.
- Feeling overwhelmed: Take five and breathe. If you are finding yourself getting anxious or overwhelmed, stop, close your eyes and take 5 breaths. Inhale for 5 counts and exhale for 5 counts. Stepping away from your desk to get some fresh air, may be another option as well.
Wherever your job takes you, use these tips to make a better and healthier you.
MaryAnna Robbins CSEP-CPT, OFC RHEP – Group Exercise, Resistance Trainer, Yoga Fitness
Leave a Reply