As we continue in this pandemic it is so important right now that we are ensuring we are taking care of ourselves as well as checking in on our friends and families.
Here are my top 5 ways that I find help me take care of me.
1. Exercise: Having three children, I have more to juggle, but the best way I can take care of them is if I take care of myself by exercising daily. I wake up before they do so I have energy. Exercising gives me the good feels I need that make me feel good about myself.
2. Eat Healthy: I believe we all need to go with the 80-20 rule eating healthy to treat ratio. Healthy food provides energy, nutrients, vitamins, good bone health, and helps you feel overall good about yourself. I don’t think many people will raise their hand saying that eating the whole bag of chips makes them feel well. Eat in moderation, have treats but eat them sparingly. If you need help, talk to your doctor and they can link you to a nutritionist or dietician.
3. Sleep: Another must, 4 hours does not cut it! Adults need 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night for their bodies to rejuvenate, repair, and give them energy.
4. Favourite Hobby: You need time for something you enjoy because it brings you happiness when you do it. Golf, reading, swimming, hiking, going to the beach, the ideas are endless and most of these activities can still be enjoyed safely during this pandemic season we all are in.
5. Meditate: There are many ways that one can meditate. I believe it’s important to do so because it allows you to slow down, bring peace to your body and remove all distractions. If you have never done mediation before you can do something as easily as lying on mat and being still. Close your eyes and breathe, taking deep breaths in and out. You could also put on some classical music.
Check out CMHA’s website at mentalhealthweek.ca to give you more ideas, tips, and resources.
Stay healthy, well, and check in on one another.
MaryAnna Robbins CSEP-CPT, OFC RHEP – Group Exercise, Resistance Trainer, Yoga Fitness, Pilates Mat Fitness